May 5, 2009

32nd Medchorus in Taichung

A 32nd time for Taiwanese medical students, a 3rd time for me. This year it was hosted in Chung Shan Medical University (CSMU), located in a little suburb in Taichung. I was ambivalent about going until late April, when I said to myself "if you don't go this year, you certainly won't next." And the fact that I really loved singing, but hated the practicing - so I was still flipping through the scores and memorizing melodies on the way up the stage.

To save traveling time, I opted the High Speed Rail, from Taipei to Taichung in less than an hour. Maximum speed 290km/h.

The loss-making bullet train is offering up to 35% discounts on certain rides, such as mine, departing on a Saturday evening (NT$455 for an hour ride).

In very little hassle and a little sleep I was in Taichung at 8.30pm.

Waiting for Uncle Gao, Dad's ex-classmate to pick me up.

The next day at CSMU Da-ching campus. It's an isolated campus for co-curriculur activities. The campus is generally dull, but all (read: every single) classroom is air-conditioned. That's a major lead compared to stingy TCU.

Air-conditioned and well-lit.

Da-ching township is nothing of a wonder - just a small suburb with a 7-11 and many eateries.

Not forgetting the customary shot after the show. Note less and less people in choir.

Team from Taipei Medical University (TMU). The judge says their white gowns make them look like brides, and I can't agree more because it's so bright I can't even spot where the conductor is.

On the way home. I got a haircut the Friday before going to Taichung, it costs me NT$350 (I usually settle for the old lady for NT$100, but my friend talked me into the designer hairdresser). To me it looked just the same, except that they shampoo and apply hair cream after that, which made me the best looking male in class for the rest of the day. The next day after I washed my hair myself, I returned to the normal Jun Yi.

And not forgetting a teacher who made choir and singing fun. He wore the same trousers and shirt on stage.