Aug 5, 2011

New York New York: Etched in My Mind

I'm back in Taipei and had resumed my clerkship for 5 days now. Gradually tuning my body clock 12 hours ahead and getting used to rice, tea, and cabbage. Any conversation with me usually begins and ends with New York, its people, the huge meals, and exciting urban life. As life on this side goes back on track, so does the one on the other. There are certain qualities and images that I will remember about New York, and also a few people I'd like to thank for this trip.
New York taught me how to slow things down and do it properly. Strange enough for a bustling metropolis and capital of the world, it's in New York that I learned listening to others. Sensing what they want from you, convey what you can do, and carry on. Doing things fast doesn't mean doing it right, and this is what I must learn especially when work starts to rain in future.

Relax. Listen to others.

Take time off for solitude and reflection. We don't need to be around people all day.

Don't hesitate doing what's right because others are judging you.

In other words, follow your heart and just have fun when you have the opportunity.

Life's too short to think twice about something, sometimes.

And slow down to really look at something or someone.
We're very grateful the past month for Prof. and Mrs. Ku. Prof. Ku was my Dad's teacher back in NTNU, I got to know him just before he retires back to his family in New York. Mrs. Ku showered us with exemplary Taiwanese-American hospitality, driving us to dinners, across Brooklyn Bridge, and even to the airport. Her bubbly character made us feel at home the second day in New York, and subsequently consistently pestered us with phone calls for trips and fancy restaurants. July in New York would otherwise be dull without her presence.

This is Ginger, daughter of Uncle George, CEO of Tzu Chi New York. She works at the DaAi TV office at where we lived, hosts USA 360 degrees every month (a pre-recorded English program on DaAi TV), and our housekeeper during the day. I'm keeping this photo at the deepest crevice of my computer to blackmail her when she becomes famous, which will be really soon.

With jet-lag waking us at 3am Taipei time and shutting us down 7pm, I can't help reliving the past month in between sleep and consciousness. As much as I advocate change and voice for it, I can't help believing it'll last up to the end of the year. Nevertheless, I will attempt to persevere with the lessons I learned 8000 miles away, try to stay true to myself in face of stereotypy.

1 comments:

Chen Yi said...

like the quotes u have in this post!