Sep 12, 2009

School's Starting

When you tell a bunch of freshmen how's life in senior year (4th year), they probably won't pay attention anyway because they think Year 4 is so far away - just let me enjoy the first few months before I start to think about the future.
That was what I had in mind in my freshman year.
Same thing with 4th graders - freshmen are naive, silly and in serious need of some 'cultivation'.
That was what I had in mind now. All thanks to a messy curriculum change, we are spared of any exams upon start-of term. Having no obligations to any co-curriculum bodies whatsoever, I had quite some ample time observing freshmen and all their 'fresh' behaviors. Observations include:
  1. Asking for notes and hand-me-down textbooks on the first meeting with seniors
  2. Instead of swiping our Student IDs gaining entry into the library (as in the old fashioned magnetic bar credit card), tech geeks assume it's RFID-equipped - a simple paypass touch. You won't believe the queue forming at the entrance. Are they that dumb?
  3. Asking for instructions to places obvious to the naked eye (within 20 feet away).
School's starting Monday - another cycle of studies, group discussions, research and paper reading, and definitely less time for luxurious daydreaming. Though in preparation for my board exam and my age (ahem!) I have scaled down on extra-curricular activities, the following semester looks packed as well. I like being a student, especially so a medical student, because one gets the opportunity to learn, apply and perfect one's skills in an extremely comprehensive setting. The competition may be overwhelming at times but at the end of the day we would still make it. I learned also that when you've invested your best efforts, no results is too embarrassing for display.
And as I told many many aspiring doctors, you need only two things for medicine - passion and interest. If you're thinking of making your bank account happy, go learn finance and investment. If you're thinking of saving people, go work for the AIDS helpline. Many a time a physician's job description is worlds apart from what portrayed in conventional television series.
I pray for a fruitful semester ahead. This does not come without conflicts. I just hope everyone gets on and picked something out at the end of the day.

0 comments: